My June Reading Stats
I read 3 books and listened to 3 audiobooks
That was an average of 410 pages per book and 41 pages per day
Of those 6 books, 1 was historical fiction, 3 were fantasy and 2 were contemporary
Kissing Max Holden by Katy Upperman ★★★★
This was a great, messy, story about love and family and baking (YUM!) There were some flaws but I loved the relationship between the MC and her step mother, I like books about found family.
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (Audio) ★★★★★
Wow. Just wow. Did not feel like debut writing and opened my eyes. WIDE. I felt well informed until I read this book, I really think it has something to teach us all.
The Rose and The Dagger by Renee Ahdieh ★★★★
Another beautiful tale from Renee Ahdieh. It tied up the events of the first book nicely and I enjoyed it but it didnt blow me away.
The Last Magician by Lisa Maxwell ★★★★
I was really surprised by The Last Magician! The synopsis mentioned time travel, magic and gangs and it just seemed too good to be true. Gave me some Six of Crows (the gangs) and A Darker Shade of Magic (Lila Bard) vibes.
The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow (Audio) ★★
The idea was original, and there was some epic snark but overall I was severely underwhelmed. Do not plan to continue the series.
All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (Audio) ★★★★
I felt a little unsatisfied with the ending but overall I’m so glad I finally read this book. Doerr’s writing is incredibly atmospheric and moved me through so many emotions. This is why I need to read more historical fiction.
Off The Page
This wrap up is SO late, I’m sorry guys! I have been in an epic blogging slump coupled with a lot of things going on in my life. In the month of June I:
- fostered 5 adorable floofs! (aka kittens) from my local BCSPCA.
- went camping for Canada Day long weekend with a friend of mine and her family. It was the best time I’ve had in a long time and everyone helped me look after my son so I could have some me time as well which was so kind of them.
- considered going back to school in the fall and then my anxiety overwhelmed me and I decided I was not going back. (spoiler alert for July, my counselor encourages me to get the facts before making a quick decision, but more on that next month)
- Melted, okay I didn’t but it did reach 40 degress.
- was blown away by the number of words by son learned! He repeats so much of what I say and now I have to watch what I say. LOL
- continued to love my bullet journal and I’m proud of myself for being consistent with it.
- saw Wonder Woman and loved it!
- had a lot of fragile days followed by super productive and positive days. It was a roller coaster of a month and despite my best intentions my blogging ending up being what took the back seat. I had hoped that July would be different but it has taken until now to get things back on track
- worked with @chelssic to redesign my blog so look for that coming soon!
Defy the Stars by Claudia Gray
I’ve had my eye on this since the beginning of the year and I’ve wanted to read more books set in space so I had to pick it up.
Kissing Max Holden by Katy Upperman
Fabulous ARC kindly sent to me by Raincoast Books
Added to Goodreads:
Tempests and Slaughter by Tamora Pierce
I can barely contain myself, you have no idea how long I’ve waited for this book!
Every Heart A Doorway by Seanan McGuire
I’ve been seeing this a lot lately, and the sequel, and the more I hear the more I am intrigued.
Coming Up Next For Review